Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Clanker's Wreckluse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Clanker's Wreckluse

Post, make a form out of wood then bend the alum. over it . The beanbag and mallet idea will also work but for something this small you will need a few different mallets and quality mallets are not cheap , ( I work in a body shop ,mallets and shot bags are great for bike and things like that ) I have been thinking about the wood form but Im so busy at work I just dont have the time right now ,( Im working the shop alone right now ,other guy quit)
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #122
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I'm going to check that out 89...I like Lobo's lights better than mine
I looked at RPP, and AMain and Tower...gave up after that.

Proline says they are out of stock....bummer
Well they got the other in stock but now ya know where to look i dont mind helping lol
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
Well they got the other in stock but now ya know where to look i dont mind helping lol
It was a good call...I bet they quit making them...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleblue46 View Post
Post, make a form out of wood then bend the alum. over it . The beanbag and mallet idea will also work but for something this small you will need a few different mallets and quality mallets are not cheap , ( I work in a body shop ,mallets and shot bags are great for bike and things like that ) I have been thinking about the wood form but Im so busy at work I just dont have the time right now ,( Im working the shop alone right now ,other guy quit)
Wood form...That's a good idea....so a smaller mallet would be the ticket here??? I know nothing of body work, but this would fit in that arena. I tried bending it over a piece of 5/8" rod, but couldn't keep the rod from moving around on me. I believe I can keep it stationary ....I'm not beating on it at all. Where might I find a shot bag ???

On a lighter note, you might be the one to make us a nice metal hood being you are a body man . I know how that work thing goes...no time for me during the week...
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

Im pretty sure the still make em unlike there proline 8 shooter wheels
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #126
RCC Addict

Quote:
Lobo thanks , hey if the storm looks like it headed your way you can grab the wife and head here ,I got room for a couple of people ...lol
Post ,I dont think the storm will effect us much here to far in land , we might get some rain and maybe a breeze , if its not to wet I might have to get a kite out....lol
Its cool how those wheels look different size , all mine are 2.2, but I'm a big tire guy my 1:1 Willys had 40 inch iroks on it , miss that jeep
Lol, Thanks paleblue46, we are getting batteries, flashlights, and water together so we can be ready here. Just have to be careful with the wind and falling tree branches.

Hey posktclanker,

I couldn't find them lights anywhere either. I guess next step would be to search at local hobby shops...they usually carry stuff that never makes it online. The newer proline buckets already have the hole for the LED . I have a set of those for future use and they are sweet.

Yeah, them 3.97s are way too asmall...i keep them for size reference but those will be going on one of the RC10GTs (whenever i get to run them, lol)

Do you have to heat up the aluminum when bending? i tried a one of them bending coils on an aluminum tube and it didnt crimp; it snapped in two when bending. No mufflers for me till i figure this out.

Im keeping my eye on that hood progress. Metal hood would be so cool!
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

I'm determined

No heat applied, I suppose I could make a square bend out of it easy...but I'd really like to keep the curve, doesn't have to be tapered ...just rolled over. Want to hinge it too so I can lift the hood. Like a real one. Use some magnets to keep I closed. Thought about a front flap that would suffice for a light mount too

Got my fab hat on today
Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #128
Rock Crawler

Post , as far as finding a shot bag try auto body supply shops or Harbor Freight sometime has them , the mallets are more plastic then rubber and are teardrop shaped. Ill look around and see if I can locate a link . yeah the work thing kinda sucks I work for a trucking company and Im the body shop right now , good thing is they havent wrecked to many so far ( hope i didnt just curse myself) but it isnt to bad working alone I can crank the tunes when I want . If I get some time Ill try working on a hood .
just went out a tried to start the generator ........no go .. friggin carb is gummed up DAMN ETHINOL .. Ill try blowing it out tomorrow ,if not Ill have to try and find one after work
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Hope my New York friends are safe and dry the next few days...have a daughter in Manhattan as well...that storm looks nasty

I think I figured out the bend. I put the metal and the rod in my vice and folded the metal over the rod...I got a nice bend out of it..then I got the other side to bend nice too. I got excited and repeated it all over again and this time had a flap in front to mount some lights in. Now I really need to find some cups and lenses. Figured out a hinge system too.

So...pictures will be forthcoming but I want to trim it up and mount some lights first..probably have to re-route the wires too if I'm going to hinge the hood.

More to come
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #130
RCC Addict

I can't wait to see hood.

I have mine hinged. Its pretty cool, lift hood to get to light-mode switch or swap batteries.

I hinged to a piece of balsa wood which acts like a firewall. I have/had very tiny strong rare earth magnets from radioshack for locking the hood when close.

"have" cause i purchase four of them. "Had" because they are somewhere in the other dimension with the tow shackle.

Hope your daughter is okay post. Its been dark, windy and wet this morning here in Manhattan. The wife, pooch and myself are here i guess you can say in waiting mode. Took advantage of some quiet time and cut me some new panels for the 'luse.

I like the aluminum panel look but not looking to try my hand at cutting metal...will leave that to you, but I decided to try something funky. I'm doing a mirror-finished wreckluse, lol. The panels were cut from sheets of mirror-finish styrene; i found them a couple months ago.

Here is a pic of the cut panels..."peace" on the bottom panel
They still has the protective film.

Here they are, protective film removed. check out the reflective power, lol

I need to cut the side panels, rear tail light panel, and chassis panels by the rear shocks.

This wreckluse is gonna reflect everything in its surroundings...can this be best camouflage ever? hahahahha

once finished, we will see how well this styrene holds up.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

Lobo , those panels look freekin cool cant wait to see them mounted up , stay safe down there . wind is begining to to pick up here
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Pretty shinny stuff there Lobo, ought to make some interesting photo ops.

I looked at my hood again this morning...might try a larger rod to bend over, would make a smoother bend and not look so square. Might try another one and see which one I like best.

More important than anything here...hope all of you are safe tonight...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

we made it out of the storm easy no trouble here , not sure about LOBO that city is messed up bad
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #134
I wanna be Dave

hope he's on high ground...
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

I got a pm from Lobo today , he and his wife are safe just no power
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #136
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Pale...he sent me a PM also, was good to hear from him...
It's funny how close nit you can get via a forum...
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #137
Rock Crawler

yeah really
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #138
RCC Addict

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We got power!!! We got heat!!! & communications!!! & RCCRAWLER!!!

...just in time!!!

The wife gave herself a BLACK EYE in the dark last night. She turned the corner BEFORE the corner; walked straight into the wall. Was not a pretty sight when the lights came on.

Now we are about to head out for some restocking...food in neighborhood is bad so traveling out further is required; crossing bridge into brooklyn. long walk but great sight!

This is the wife walking; we were heading across to charge phones the other day.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...c/IMG_8285.jpg

hoping subway transportation gets back to normal.

Hey post, how did you daughter do? is she okay?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #139
Rock Crawler

Alex,
great news bud , bet your wife is happy , (walls suck) hope things get back to normal for you soon , I want to see those panels mounted up !!!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #140
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alex,
great news bud , bet your wife is happy , (walls suck) hope things get back to normal for you soon , I want to see those panels mounted up !!!!!!
Thanks Chris,

Yeah she is extremely happy, she's gotten into cleaning mode.

The dog is not liking that one bit...he is her next target for washing, lol.

I got them panels in mind once we get finished here in the apt.

I'm hoping the mirrored styrene doesnt make the wreckluse like a disco ball.

If so then im going to wipe the panels down lightly with scotch brite to give them a brushed aluminum look.

Clanker's Wreckluse - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just got a wreckluse and need help pontiacfreak Electronics 7 11-24-2009 10:10 AM