Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #2781
Rock Crawler

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

that helps I have a brushed 13t holmes motor on mu scx 10 thanks!
zion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #2782
Rock Crawler

No problem.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #2783
Rock Crawler

Got a hacked gt3b this evening. Got a 3ch for the sc10 and a 6ch for the crawler. So far I have figured out by reading in this thread that I had to add all the channels so I could get past 3. No problem. My crawler has a 2-speed trans in it along with 4ws.

This is where I am at

Ch1 steering (good)
Ch2 throttle (good)
Ch3 shift servo, it operates on the "back" button on top. Usable but not what I really want.
Ch4 rear steer
Ch5 future winch I would like this on the D/R switch
Ch6 future lights, these on the "back" button would be perfect.

I would like to get the steering mix of front,rear,4ws,crab on the 3ch switch in the handle but can't get it. Can't even get it there when the steering servo is plugged into the 3ch port on the rx. I also want the shift servo on the ch3 trim button if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #2784
Rock Crawler

The answers are in this thread. Post #2 covers most of it. Although it could use a little update for 0.6.1 info. What firmware are you running?

These are what I used, in addition to this thread (although, I found them via this thread. Post 2, again):

http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3X-Firmw...lp%20cards.pdf

http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B-...NUAL-0.6.1.txt

The manual is a little hard to read but once you understand it, programming becomes simple.

Last edited by KJ10; 05-02-2013 at 08:41 PM.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #2785
Rock Crawler

I just got it so its the .6.1 I have been finding random stuff on YouTube and I think I am close to getting what I have to working ok. Got some things to work out so I'll check out the links. Thank you.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2786
Rock Stacker

Anyone have to replace the steering pot on their GT3C? Mine is flakey and was thinking about tearing apart my glitch 3B and swapping the pots but wondering if its not as simple as that. I know I have to account for the power switch which seems to be wired into the little board that is attached to the pot but I can work with that. Just wondering if the 2 pots are similar in spec.
Superfubario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #2787
Rock Crawler

Yes, man. The pot sucks. I've changed or repaired 2 of them already. The GT3C ones. I always take the switch out of there, and move it anyway, because the wires fail on the switch in the steeringwheel. Good idea to get that pot fixed. We thought one of the servos was really messed up, but after switching cars on the same radio it was obvious the TX pot was dead.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #2788

I'm having an issue with my ch 3. Whenever I plug it into the Rx in the ch 3 spot the tx loses the ability to steer and the throttle twitches.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and can give me a good step by step to setting up my lcc dig with the 3 position trim?

Thanks in advance
maquet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #2789
Rock Stacker

Hey all just wondering about the firmware versions. Older ones have 3ch,4ch etc. With the new updates like..6.1...what channel is it? It looks like it can be whatever u wasn't if you map the buttons. Any help be appreciated!
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #2790
Rock Stacker

After hacking the GT3B has anyone had a range issue with theirs I have hacked mine and cannot get more than 10 feet away or it losses all signal, I have put a brand new out of the box receiver on it and same issue, I have a couple buddies that have hacked ones and theres does the same, any help would be apperciated.
tbacon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #2791
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
Got a hacked gt3b this evening. Got a 3ch for the sc10 and a 6ch for the crawler. So far I have figured out by reading in this thread that I had to add all the channels so I could get past 3. No problem. My crawler has a 2-speed trans in it along with 4ws.

This is where I am at

Ch1 steering (good)
Ch2 throttle (good)
Ch3 shift servo, it operates on the "back" button on top. Usable but not what I really want.
Ch4 rear steer
Ch5 future winch I would like this on the D/R switch
Ch6 future lights, these on the "back" button would be perfect.

I would like to get the steering mix of front,rear,4ws,crab on the 3ch switch in the handle but can't get it. Can't even get it there when the steering servo is plugged into the 3ch port on the rx. I also want the shift servo on the ch3 trim button if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
You cant run a 4ws mix on a button. It has to be on a switch.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #2792
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacon38 View Post
After hacking the GT3B has anyone had a range issue with theirs I have hacked mine and cannot get more than 10 feet away or it losses all signal, I have put a brand new out of the box receiver on it and same issue, I have a couple buddies that have hacked ones and theres does the same, any help would be apperciated.
You probably pulled the antenna wire off the board. It is a very fragile solder joint, and does not take much to break it. There is a how to repair in one of the first few posts here on how to repair it.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2793
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquet24 View Post
I'm having an issue with my ch 3. Whenever I plug it into the Rx in the ch 3 spot the TX loses the ability to steer and the throttle twitches.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong and can give me a good step by step to setting up my LCC dig with the 3 position trim?

Thanks in advance
What are you plugging into channel-3? If a dig servo, maybe the servo is bad. If it's a large (200inoz+) servo, you may be browning out the RX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
Hey all just wondering about the firmware versions. Older ones have 3ch, 4ch, etc. With the new updates like..6.1...what channel is it? It looks like it can be whatever u want if you map the buttons. Any help would be appreciated!
I believe both firmwares have up to 8 channels. When you set up a new model, you have to tell the TX how many channels you need so you can program them. If you leave it @ 3 channels, you can't program a 4th+ channel in the TX regardless of the RX you use.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #2794
Rock Stacker

Ahhh ok I'll have a look and check it out when I get home in a few days. I figured it was something like that. I didn't get into it much, I'm still reading and trying to figure out how to use it in my head hahahaha. Thanks!!!
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2795

[QUOTE=Charlie-III;4310973]What are you plugging into channel-3? If a dig servo, maybe the servo is bad. If it's a large (200inoz+) servo, you may be browning out the RX.

I'm using the standard LOSI MRC servo. I had it working before I did the hack, I just only had front dig capability.

***edit*** You were right I just checked it with another servo and everything else still works. Now I just need to order a new servo and figure out how to program the ch3. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by maquet24; 05-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.
maquet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #2796
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=maquet24;4311059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
What are you plugging into channel-3? If a dig servo, maybe the servo is bad. If it's a large (200inoz+) servo, you may be browning out the RX.

I'm using the standard LOSI MRC servo. I had it working before I did the hack, I just only had front dig capability.
Did you maybe plug it into the RX backward??

As to programming, are you running the 0.4 or 0.6 firmware??

For dig, the basic is:
Pick a switch on the TX
Set for 3 position
Set one way +100, the other way to -100, middle = 0

Some of the programming steps are similar to dual ESC with dig & proportional, you just are not mixing 2 throttle channels.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #2797
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
Yes, man. The pot sucks. I've changed or repaired 2 of them already. The GT3C ones. I always take the switch out of there, and move it anyway, because the wires fail on the switch in the steeringwheel. Good idea to get that pot fixed. We thought one of the servos was really messed up, but after switching cars on the same radio it was obvious the TX pot was dead.
Cool. Thx for the response.
I have a gt3b and some old am radios I can grab a pot from. Gonna rewire the whole inside of the steering module (power/pot).

Ya it sucks. I really want to recommend these radios to my friends since once you flash them they have so many options but I bought the 3B, had throttle pot issues i fought with forever thinking it was my esc/motor combo. Once I found it was the radio I shelved it. Recently bought the 3C and steering pot issues after 3 hours of use. I keep getting the radios built on a monday :P
Superfubario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #2798
RCC Addict

I have 2 rx's and I cant have them both on at the same time, otherwise they both run at the same time. It's there any way I can have both on and only run one? Like have one on a trailer, and the other pulling, both on so I can just switch channels to load the one off of the trailer?
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #2799
I wanna be Dave

nope, that's the way this system binds to the receivers, unlike the spektrum system that only operates each individual receiver at a specific model memory.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #2800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
nope, that's the way this system binds to the receivers, unlike the spektrum system that only operates each individual receiver at a specific model memory.
Damn, I was also hoping to be able to control models separately.
d1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM