Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #2741
RCC Addict

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion23 View Post
is there a thread on this mod is it the black voltage regulator in the control that needs to be replace the guy giving it to me has a 3 s lipo hooked up but did not do anything else will it damage the radio/ WHERE can i get this mod for the 3s lipo swap thanks

If I remember correctly since its been so long the vr and vr mod were discussed over on rc tech. Basically just un solder old one and install new one. Requires a fine tip and quality iron. Takes about 20 mins start to finish
including tear down and re assembly.

Again covered ob rc tech was the need for it. Stock you are running the risk with 3s for regulator to over heat and melt. Really cheap and easy to just do it. There were pics in beginning of ones melted pretty bad from prolonged use and heat damage.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #2742
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm not planning on charging it through the remote, I was going to take out the LiPO and charge it separately so I don't need the voltage regulator then? Just connect the LiPO and I'm good?
LosiKid or others may know more, but it also sounds like a bad potential just USING 3S LiPO with the stock VR. It's not really suited to the extra voltage, notice Meatwad stated he never FULLY CHARGED his 3S LiPO in his "stock VR" hacked GT3B.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #2743
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
im not plan on charging it through the remote i was going to take out the lipo and charge it separtely so I dont need the voltage regulator then? just connect the lipo and im good?
I wouldn't either, mainly for the ability to balance. Again I'm not expert but there wasn't an issue when the lipos were kept at 11.8vdc or so and under in my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
LosiKid or others may know more, but it also sounds like a bad potential just USING 3S LiPO with the stock VR. It's not really suited to the extra voltage, notice Meatwad stated he never FULLY CHARGED his 3S LiPO in his "stock VR" hacked GT3B.
Precisely, my train of thought was that each AA is ~1.5vdc so it would be ~12vdc total with fresh alkalines. So ~11.8vdc has worked for awhile now on some 3s1800mah20c lipos, that fit the batt compartment well after ripping out the AA cradle btw
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #2744
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
I wouldn't either, mainly for the ability to balance. Again I'm not expert but there wasn't an issue when the lipos were kept at 11.8vdc or so and under in my experiences.

Precisely, my train of thought was that each AA is ~1.5vdc so it would be ~12vdc total with fresh alkalines. So ~11.8vdc has worked for awhile now on some 3s1800mah20c lipos, that fit the batt compartment well after ripping out the AA cradle btw
Well you are correct with voltage but the amount the voltage drops in use for the aa batteries vs the Lipo is quite different.

The vr is cheap and easy.... I've seen the pics of melted ones.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2745
Rock Crawler

thanks for the info
zion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #2746
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Well you are correct with voltage but the amount the voltage drops in use for the aa batteries vs the Lipo is quite different.

The vr is cheap and easy.... I've seen the pics of melted ones.
Very true the voltage sag is quite different, lipos have almost none compared to inferior battery chemistries. As my understanding goes, a voltage regulator is just that.. a device that maintains a constant voltage. But in the case of this specific vr mod, allows the use of a lower voltage and longer battery life. The current draw of the radio is on the order of ~500ma, a simple load for a 3s1800mah20c pack.. along with about a month of battery life. My experience has been that I've had no ill effects/heat/omgwtfbbq type action from my 3b.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #2747
Got Worms?

running a stock vr with backlight off, the current drain is ~110ma with the new VR its going to be ~60ma

Right now with backlight on, the current drain is ~130ma and the new VR will be ~75ma

Testing was done at 11.4V

The new VR consumes less power, generates little to no heat, and has a wider voltage operating range.

Running the stock vr at 12 volts for a long period of time will generate alot of heat.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #2748
Pebble Pounder

ok so i got a qustion... i bought the 6ch rx for my gt3b.. now if i try to plug the esc into ch2 its acts like a ch1 for steering.. like the steering wheel controls ch2 also.. how do i fix this... and if i get that fixed how can i run this list of crap lol

Ch1 CMS servo on scx10
Ch2 Esc
Ch3 Front winch
Ch4 Rear winch
Ch5 Truck lights on/off

plain how to instructions would be great.. lol
Zeks05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #2749
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeks05 View Post
ok so i got a qustion... i bought the 6ch rx for my gt3b.. now if i try to plug the esc into ch2 its acts like a ch1 for steering.. like the steering wheel controls ch2 also.. how do i fix this... and if i get that fixed how can i run this list of crap lol

Ch1 CMS servo on scx10
Ch2 Esc
Ch3 Front winch
Ch4 Rear winch
Ch5 Truck lights on/off

plain how to instructions would be great.. lol
You turned on track/boat mixing You want to assign DIG to channel 3, 4, 5, or 6. NOT channel 1
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #2750
Pebble Pounder

where do i turn it off, what menus?

it didnt do this with my 3ch reg. rx?
Zeks05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #2751
Rock Stacker

Anyone know if GT3C stock receiver can be use with Hitec 7950 servo clock to 7.4V ?

Thanks in advance.
gpilot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #2752
RCC Addict

ooookay, not sure what i did. I have my bronco on either model 0 or 1, don't remember which at the moment, with the name BRO. Then the rig i am building for my dad was on 3 models up from that leaving room for the two rigs i am going to build next. I just got my rig re dialed in tonight and then did some work on my dads truck. needed to center his servo, grabbed the 3b, turned it on, select model, started to roll through as i was walking back to the bench, stumbled on an air hose and hit some button on accident. Now i can't find my rigs entry and when i turn my rig on it goes wide open like the trims are all messed up. on the display i can select model 1 and the name is M01, roll to the right and it goes up. roll the the left and the model goes to zero and the name is M62, another notch to the left and I get model 2 and M62%. what did I do?? did i some how reset it??? or am i in some odd menu?????
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #2753
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpilot2000 View Post
Anyone know if GT3C stock receiver can be use with Hitec 7950 servo clock to 7.4V ?

Thanks in advance.
with a hitec servo i would use a external bec castle make one it will help you run smooth and wont ruin your esc I have the same servo and it was recomended to use a bec
Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #2754
Rock Crawler

Quote:
with a hitec servo i would use a external bec castle make one it will help you run smooth and wont ruin your esc I have the same servo and it was recomended to use a bec
sorry maybe you already had one I just assume It works fine on mines...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
ooookay, not sure what i did. I have my bronco on either model 0 or 1, don't remember which at the moment, with the name BRO. Then the rig i am building for my dad was on 3 models up from that leaving room for the two rigs i am going to build next. I just got my rig re dialed in tonight and then did some work on my dads truck. needed to center his servo, grabbed the 3b, turned it on, select model, started to roll through as i was walking back to the bench, stumbled on an air hose and hit some button on accident. Now i can't find my rigs entry and when i turn my rig on it goes wide open like the trims are all messed up. on the display i can select model 1 and the name is M01, roll to the right and it goes up. roll the the left and the model goes to zero and the name is M62, another notch to the left and I get model 2 and M62%. what did I do?? did i some how reset it??? or am i in some odd menu?????
sorry to say but i think you may have wiped all your settings , if you have not got any of your model names you put in . ? what you describe is how the radio is new or after re flash
tgraceing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #2756
RCC Addict

How did I manage that? any thoughts? I figured such was the case, luckily it is only two rigs and one was going to be redone.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #2757
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
How did I manage that? any thoughts? I figured such was the case, luckily it is only two rigs and one was going to be redone.

"To err is human...to truly "F-up" requires a computer...."
Guess you proved that.
No, I have no real clue how though...sorry. Glad it was only 2 models. I think.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #2758
RCC Addict

Got her back up and running, ready for the weekend now. Lets hope I don't do that again.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #2759
Rock Stacker

Quote:
sorry maybe you already had one I just assume It works fine on mines...
Thanks for replying my post, yes I use Castle BEC 10 A . I just dont have the guts to set my servo to 7.4 worrying that it will fry/explode or something . So you saying its ok to set the servo to 7.4V using CC bec and stock GT3C receiver ? any electronic layout link to your setup ?

thanks in advance.
gpilot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #2760
Got Worms?

DO NOT RUN more than 6 volts through the rx...

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM