Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #3121

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hi everybody,

I'm such a newb but really enjoying everything so far. I'm an older lady in Central Texas.

I picked up a SCX10 ii 55 Ford and have been crawling around the backyard.

Upgrading wheels and tires was job #1. So, I had a decision to make; standard 1.9 or 1.9 XL. I went with XL because competing is not the plan, and an increase in clearance sounded good. It was a great learning experience getting the beadlocs figured out, and I certainly like how it all looks, but there is all kinds of body rubbing going on now. I had no idea how such a little increase in tire size, (both in diameter and height) could make such a difference in fitment. So, I guess I will be researching my options.

Here is a photo after I got that first tire and wheel mounted. The other three went much faster after the first one.

Mandala Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #3122

Howdy, crawler people.
I am a newb from Minnesota. I bought a tiny 1/28 truck to chase the new kittens around, and that got me thinking. Combine that with an obsession by a bikecycle guy I follow online who loves his tiny trucks and shoots some awesome little videos of it, and next thing you know I'm joining forums and reading reviews and doing research.
Shortly thereafter, a Gen8 Scout comes home strapped to the back of my motorcycle.
I won't have batteries until this weekend, but that's okay. That gives me time to go through the thing and make sure everything out of the box is setup correctly. (Or as correct as this newbie can determine.)
I'm a little worried that I'm going to end up spending two years in my basement building up a scale copy of the Porkchop Express out of a TRX-6 and a pile of styrene. But hopefully I'll spend more time playing outside than building inside.

- Chilly
ChillyWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #3123
Quarry Creeper

I tried to start my build thread in the 2.2 section and it immediately disappeared?

Post count too low?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #3124

How do I go about posting pictures of my trucks? Do you have to do it through a 3rd party site?
DHnewkid3624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #3125

Hello Crawlers,
Im getting into Crawling now that i have a SCX24. I am looking to learn more and do customization's. Not sure what i am going to pick up but i am buying something 1/10 scale.
omegac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #3126
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHnewkid3624 View Post
How do I go about posting pictures of my trucks? Do you have to do it through a 3rd party site?
You can either host them remotely and post using the links from there or if you pay for a membership you can have a gallery on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegac View Post
Hello Crawlers,
Im getting into Crawling now that i have a SCX24. I am looking to learn more and do customization's. Not sure what i am going to pick up but i am buying something 1/10 scale.
Welcome to the site and the hobby!

There's so many choices for 1/10 rigs now but almost of them are great, pretty hard to make a bad choice. My personal favourites are the HPI Venture and the Gmade BOM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #3127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKlamerus View Post
I tried to start my build thread in the 2.2 section and it immediately disappeared?

Post count too low?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I think new user posts are subject to review by the mods, be patient and they should show up soon.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #3128

Hello RCC Forum people,

Newb here from CA(SF Bay Area). Picked up an “almost new” Axial SCX10 II RTR a couple months ago and been having a blast using it in my backyard and out at local schools, parks and trails. Joined the forum a couple of weeks ago to start gathering up info to help improve my crawling skills/techniques and advice on where to start with vehicle modifications.
RockHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #3129
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHnewkid3624 View Post
The easiest is to support this site..pay $20. Click on quote or reply. There will be attachments. Click on that. You either go to your library or take a photo. I click on down load..watch the download icon disappear. Click on attachments again. Pick the photo again. Then close window. I do not know why I have to repeat but it does not take long and works every time. You also get to see the classifieds. It takes a while to learn to navigate this site but it does offer quite a variety. From awesome builds to great suggestions. Have fun.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #3130
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandala Crawler View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm such a newb but really enjoying everything so far. I'm an older lady in Central Texas.

I picked up a SCX10 ii 55 Ford and have been crawling around the backyard.

Upgrading wheels and tires was job #1. So, I had a decision to make; standard 1.9 or 1.9 XL. I went with XL because competing is not the plan, and an increase in clearance sounded good. It was a great learning experience getting the beadlocs figured out, and I certainly like how it all looks, but there is all kinds of body rubbing going on now. I had no idea how such a little increase in tire size, (both in diameter and height) could make such a difference in fitment. So, I guess I will be researching my options.

Here is a photo after I got that first tire and wheel mounted. The other three went much faster after the first one.

A simple fix is to take off the body. Unscrew the bolt holding one of four body posts. Raise it up one or two holes and put the screw back in. Do all four. Never over tighten any bolt on these rigs...they strip easy.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #3131
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezy_gee16 View Post
Hey fellas! Nice to meet y’all. I live in LA and now jumping into the RC world from doing Gunpla and static car models for years. I also used to play Tamiya mini 4wd back in the Philippines when I was a kid and have always been fascinated by RC back then (RC drifting and crawling) but has no means to buy one since it’s hella expensive but I guess, it’s never too late to try this hobby that I’ve always wanted.

For now, I bought a friend’s old scx10 with some upgrades for dirt cheap but I still need some parts here and there, a radio, battery and charger for it so, wish me luck lol thanks for spending the time to read my intro and hope to know some of y’all soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome. You are starting with a very capable rig for sure. Part of the hobby I enjoy is all the researching. For instance...many members here prefer a certain brand controller that does not break your bank. Use the search engine often . I use EBay most the time for upgrades after I read comments from this site about what works and why and what doesn’t. Most of all have fun.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #3132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
Welcome. You are starting with a very capable rig for sure. Part of the hobby I enjoy is all the researching. For instance...many members here prefer a certain brand controller that does not break your bank. Use the search engine often . I use EBay most the time for upgrades after I read comments from this site about what works and why and what doesn’t. Most of all have fun.

I’ll keep that in mind! Thank you!

Freezy_gee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #3133

Quote:
A simple fix is to take off the body. Unscrew the bolt holding one of four body posts. Raise it up one or two holes and put the screw back in. Do all four. Never over tighten any bolt on these rigs...they strip easy.
Thanks for that advice.
Mandala Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #3134
Pebble Pounder

Adjustable shock mounts could be in order also. We try to keep the body as low as we can but it is hard to dremmel the wheelwells of a nice shiny new rig.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #3135

Kentucky Noob

Most people call me Jonesy. I’ve always been intrigued with the hobby, but never gave it serious thought until a couple weeks back. Bought ASCX10 II and now I know I’m going to be poor. LOL

Looking forward to learning from all you fine folks!
KYJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #3136
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYJonesy View Post
Kentucky Noob

Most people call me Jonesy. I’ve always been intrigued with the hobby, but never gave it serious thought until a couple weeks back. Bought ASCX10 II and now I know I’m going to be poor. LOL

Looking forward to learning from all you fine folks!
Welcome Jonesy. I put the Forum in my favorites. Then you can go to Scale Rigs Brand Specific. Click on SCX10 II and see what people are doing with there rigs. I do the same for my TRX-4. Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 09-02-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #3137

Quote:
Welcome Jones. I put the Forum in my favorites. Then you can go to Scale Rigs Brand Specific. Click on SCX10 II and see what people are doing with there rigs. I do the same for my TRX-4. Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Thanks! I’ve already been digging around in there, but appreciate the heads up!

I came to get down!
KYJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #3138

Hi, in Springfield, OR. Seems like all anyone does here is rock crawl, so I figured l’ll check it out.
Mbartell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #3139

New from north western North Dakota.
My name is Keith.
I really want to find some like minded people in north western North Dakota.
I have had my crawler a little over a year but haven’t taken it out much.
It’s one that is not supported in the states much.

I have a traction hobby 1/8 cragsman c.
It has a 2 speed transmission, 2wd/4wd transfer case. And locking/unlocking front and rear axle.
Came with a flysky gt5 radio and used all 6 channels with all the servos.
The first run I had it I burnt up the stock 550 27turn brushed motor.
So in went a goolrc 3660 3300kv brushless motor and esc that I had. The motor worked well esc was junk. I upgraded the esc to a sidewinder 4 with the b-link.
I have upgraded all my servos to jx metal gear and “waterproof”. The steering servo I run directly from 3s.
My radio I changed to a flysky i6s 10ch and added a winch that is controlled off a small hobbywing esc.

ogre20012001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #3140

Hi all, I’m getting back into the hobby after several years break. I just picked up an scx10 iii on a screaming deal to get back into the game!

DavidVonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote