Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #481
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I am new to 3D printing and when I ordered my printer, prusa mk3 I started watching videos on youtube on how to make things and found Tinkercad. After I got a few prints done. I decided to make a Hex tool holder for my RC bench. Took me a few tries to get it done, but good learning process. Then I decided to make another for my longer Hex bits and Handle. Again, took me a few tries. But worth it. Now I have been looking around the garage to see if something needs a bracket or a holder, . Overall, I love printing stuff. Super fun. I've printed some wheel wheels I found on Thingivers for my Axial JK. Made these magnet mounts for my China Jeep on my GCM Skeleton.

It is great to see that we have another MK3 owner here! The mk3 is a really nice printer.

I am not sure if you know about it, but firmware version 3.2.0 was officially released today. It re-enables linear advance and has improvements to the xyz calibration process.

Keep printing and posting.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #482
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
It is great to see that we have another MK3 owner here! The mk3 is a really nice printer.

I am not sure if you know about it, but firmware version 3.2.0 was officially released today. It re-enables linear advance and has improvements to the xyz calibration process.

Keep printing and posting.
No I didn't know. I will check it out. Last time I upgraded the firmware I had to re-calibrate my bed a few times. My Z setting went from -.400 before the upgrade to -800 and settled at -300. After that frustrating calibration. I now make sure to clean/wipe/alcohol the steel bed, both sides and the heating bed to make sure its a perfectly clean of any potential debris. I was thinking maybe I was getting a crumb of anything under the removable sheet.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #483
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
No I didn't know. I will check it out. Last time I upgraded the firmware I had to re-calibrate my bed a few times. My Z setting went from -.400 before the upgrade to -800 and settled at -300. After that frustrating calibration. I now make sure to clean/wipe/alcohol the steel bed, both sides and the heating bed to make sure its a perfectly clean of any potential debris. I was thinking maybe I was getting a crumb of anything under the removable sheet.

I do get that re-calibrating isn't something to look forward to and it takes a lot of Haribos to get through it.

When upgrading to 3.2.0 you should do a factory reset and re-calibration.
I recorded the Live Z setting and used that number for the first layer calibration. The first layer was still good with the same number after the upgrade.

My upgrade path was 3.1.3 to 3.2.0-RC2 to 3.2.0. I skipped RC1 due to the PINDA probe height change and problems with getting the first layer right again.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #484
RCC Addict

Default 3D Printer Anatomy: 50 parts in 5 minutes

A good video that explains most of the terms used for 3d filament printers.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #485
Rock Crawler

And I got a sensor failed error again tonight. octiprint keeps going like nothing happened so it never gave any errors on there.

Same issue where the hot end temp went awal and then shut off.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #486
Rock Crawler

Anyone having issues with Cura 3.3.1 Appimage under MintLinux 18.3?

Downloaded the Appimage, moved it to my Home directory, made it executable. When I click on it the black Cura screen appears, show loading various modules, gets to initializing interface sits there for a few seconds, the black box disappears and that is as far as it gets.

Cura 3.2.1 loads just fine, thought maybe I had a bad download so I deleted it and downloaded a fresh copy and had the same issue.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #487
Pebble Pounder

As this is the 3D print thread I think I should mention this here as well:
I designed a Super that most parts are 3D printed.

If someone is interested now it is open source (License: CC BY-SA 3.0)

- You can access to the CAD files of this project here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/27...1cbb92cec77030
- You can see the design just clicking on the link.
- You need and Onshape account (it is free) in order to be able to copy, modify, export, etc. the design.
- The CAD file will change and improve as time passes, it is more tested and ideas from others are added to the design.

Here is the link to the Thingiverse project where you can download all 3Dprintable parts directly on STL and where I will upload assembly instructions and other relevant info: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924761

gonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #488
Rock Crawler

If youre serious about 3d printing I STRONGLY recommend buying Simplify3D. Gets rid of all the troublesome parts of Cura and other budget slicers.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #489
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
If youre serious about 3d printing I STRONGLY recommend buying Simplify3D. Gets rid of all the troublesome parts of Cura and other budget slicers.
Experience?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #490
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I strongly recommend against S3d now, I bought it and the last update destroyed the utility. The latest versions have junk pathing, doesn't handle single width extrusions, and the program will not work if you don't connect to an internet connection frequently. The program itself is more of a data harvesting program than a slicer at this point. Cura and Slic3r have better pathing now, and are free.

If you want to use S3d, get the cracked version. Don't waste money on a company that is putting more time into refining data harvesting when they need to be refining the pathing.

I mostly use Slic3r. I use an old S3d version on occasion when absolutely forced. I can get faster prints with higher quality from Slic3r in 95% of the cases. Anything with a single width extrusion, might as well forget about s3d completely.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #491
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonper View Post
As this is the 3D print thread I think I should mention this here as well:
I designed a Super that most parts are 3D printed.

If someone is interested now it is open source (License: CC BY-SA 3.0)

- You can access to the CAD files of this project here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/27...1cbb92cec77030
- You can see the design just clicking on the link.
- You need and Onshape account (it is free) in order to be able to copy, modify, export, etc. the design.
- The CAD file will change and improve as time passes, it is more tested and ideas from others are added to the design.

Here is the link to the Thingiverse project where you can download all 3Dprintable parts directly on STL and where I will upload assembly instructions and other relevant info: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924761

Where does the motor go?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #492
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Where does the motor go?

Looks like there are gearboxes integrated into the knucks.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #493
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I see the tiny motor (regular motor?) In the knuckles now, lol

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #494
Rock Crawler

I bought simplify3d yesterday because I was tired of constant Cura headaches, and am so far unimpressed. It has preloaded profiles for a whole lot of printers, and that's the biggest plus I can think of so far. Worked ok for my Maker Select V2, didn't see the huge print improvements several S3D fans claimed I would get. Tried it on a Replicator 2 we got in at work and the build area is WAY off center (like several inches).

Doesn't really seem any easier than Cura so far....

Glad I can get a refund within the first 2 weeks....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #495
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I bought simplify3d yesterday because I was tired of constant Cura headaches, and am so far unimpressed. It has preloaded profiles for a whole lot of printers, and that's the biggest plus I can think of so far. Worked ok for my Maker Select V2, didn't see the huge print improvements several S3D fans claimed I would get. Tried it on a Replicator 2 we got in at work and the build area is WAY off center (like several inches).

What were your headaches with Cura? I had a lot with the current versions for a while and the older ones worked well for me. After some tuning and reading helpful things on here I got comfortable with the latest build. Now when I have print problems I find it to be the connection between the printer and my computer ... aka user error.

The cracked version I had of Simplify was older so I was a bit curious if it got better or smoother but sounds like it hasnt.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #496
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Monoprice Maker Select V2, and the old Monoprice-branded version of Cura that shipped with the printer worked fine and I was able to get usable prints. The newer versions just seem to be fighting me, it seems like there's always some issue with my prints. It's quite possibly user error. I was trying S3D hoping the preset profiles for the printer would be close enough that I would only have to make minor adjustments, so far that has not been the case....

JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #497
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post

A couple of years ago S3D was clearly the leader. That was when a under $500 3d printer was a dream. CURA and Slic3r have closed the gap and there are new slicers coming out. Now S3D cost more than some printers.

Unless you have the need for manual supports or want the cool layer simulation I would get the refund.

My favorite slicer is still Cura but there are other options:
Slic3r PE which has enhancements over stock Slic3r. You can get the MK1 config files that would work with the i3 clones here: https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r-settings.

ideaMaker is gaining in popularity and you can find profiles for Maker Select V2.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #498
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yes, there is one motor, one servo, one ESC on each wheel.
You can check the build thread here: Crazy axles idea design
gonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #499
Rock Crawler

What do I need to adjust here, this is a 200x200 print to test the bed tram (level). Guessing there is an adjustment somewhere to correct this. The printer is a PowerSpec Duplicator i3d Plus (Wanhao rebrand)

Old 05-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #500
Rock Crawler

I used Linux so the slicers are a little different than the Windows versions. I have never been able to get my head around Cura and the current version won't even load for me. Have messed with Slic3r some but nothing serious. I ran across Craftware and have been pretty happy with the results. Found a setup for it it on Youtube and tweaked it a little and been having good results. One thing I like is that it has Undo for those of use that mess up.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM