Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #661
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I am sure there are lots of things I could use, but finding them and learning them has been the challenge. Fusion 360 is not intuitive, and has lots of bells and whistles. Almost too many. It does have a great online community with lots of videos and walk throughs.

Is inventor something worth looking into?
Very much yes, if you can believe it I used to design parts in 3ds max (lol), inventor was a huge upgrade for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I am sure there are lots of things I could use, but finding them and learning them has been the challenge. Fusion 360 is not intuitive, and has lots of bells and whistles. Almost too many. It does have a great online community with lots of videos and walk throughs.

Is inventor something worth looking into? Just looked it up, it is also an Autodesk application.
I always warn people that Fusion 360 is powerful, but not even close to being intuitive or making sense. Part of that is me expecting everything to be like SolidWorks and the rest of it is because it's a bad design. You shouldn't have to go into menus for everything.

AutoCAD has never been known for making great stuff nor being intuitive. Even when 2D CAD was the norm and AutoCAD was the go-to software it lagged behind the competition in terms of usability.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #663
Custom Carbon Fiber

Inventor has been very easy for me, the perfect level of dumby pro-ness.

Ive never gotten to try SW and have heard its the cats balls to 3D design. Inventors control panel/interface is pretty easy to navigate, its only hold back is the operator at times.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #664
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Inventor has been very easy for me, the perfect level of dumby pro-ness.

Ive never gotten to try SW and have heard its the cats balls to 3D design. Inventors control panel/interface is pretty easy to navigate, its only hold back is the operator at times.
When I was going to school for these different 3D design softwares, I was 'ok' with Inventor but when I tried SW, it was intuitive for me and I ran with it. Some other people couldn't get a grip on it and it frustrated the living hell out of them. It always seemed like most of their issues were always with fully constraining the drawings. The best design software that I've used was CATIA when I was interning at Stanley Black and Decker.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #665
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The layer view shows the strange pattern but I'm don't think it actually showed the gap in the middle.

Here's the link to it https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1401210 I printed the one without the place for the pads
Here is the first layer view from cura.

The long side isn't close to flat. That is why the first layer is the just two small rectangles. Layer 2 has nothing in the center to support it so the printer is "air printing"

That is why the model is oriented on the short side in the STL file. But that means you need supports.

You could try to print it with the long side down using a thick raft(7layers?). That should work. It might be fun to try if you haven't used rafts before.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #666
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Rotate 90 degrees obviously...

Rotate it 90 degrees, print it as a u shape not with the long side down.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #667
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Like the picture

Hang up and Drive

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #668
Rock Crawler

I'm thinking it will print okay that way. I'll give it a a try tomorrow and see what happens.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:51 PM   #669
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Here is the first layer view from cura.

The long side isn't close to flat. That is why the first layer is the just two small rectangles. Layer 2 has nothing in the center to support it so the printer is "air printing"

That is why the model is oriented on the short side in the STL file. But that means you need supports.

You could try to print it with the long side down using a thick raft(7layers?). That should work. It might be fun to try if you haven't used rafts before.

What causes something like that? I'm going to guess it had something to do with the way it was designed in the CAD program. I did the same basic design in Onshape and it sliced fine laying on it's back, haven't tried printing it, I wanted to wait to the Sumo Crawler arrived so I could check the measurements.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #670
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post

Hang up and Drive
Seems to be printing okay this way

Which brings up the question for an object like this (disreguardiing this one) which way is the better way to print it, on it's back legs up or on the side legs out? I just designed a smaller one that will fit my stuff better and was wondering which would be the best way to print it.

My first thought would be with legs up as that would give the best surface adhesion. Would one orientation be stronger than the other?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #671
RCC Addict

Quote:
What causes something like that? I'm going to guess it had something to do with the way it was designed in the CAD program. I did the same basic design in Onshape and it sliced fine laying on it's back, haven't tried printing it, I wanted to wait to the Sumo Crawler arrived so I could check the measurements.
It is really the design of the stand which has the long side (top) sloping slightly into the center that is the issue not the cad tool. If the top flat, then it would have printed fine.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #672
RCC Addict

Quote:

Which brings up the question for an object like this (disreguardiing this one) which way is the better way to print it, on it's back legs up or on the side legs out? I just designed a smaller one that will fit my stuff better and was wondering which would be the best way to print it.

My first thought would be with legs up as that would give the best surface adhesion. Would one orientation be stronger than the other?
You want to get as much surface area on the build plate as possible. As long as the top is flat, then legs up is probably best.

The orientation that makes the strongest part is more complicated. That has to take into account the direction of the forces applied to the part and the direction of the filament layers. Slicers have a preview that lets you see the layers, but the best way to figure it out is measuring how much force it takes to break the part.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #673
Rock Crawler

You can really see how much the top is warped in these pictures

Old 07-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #674
Custom Carbon Fiber

To me that looks like machine or slicer error. If you had printed legs up top down I would think adhesion but this looks like the machine followed the same path on each layer.

Or ..... maybe change your line width to fit the filament in the desired space with less voids?

Or OR ..... its actually designed that way??

Last edited by Robbob; 07-06-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #675
Yashua

I've been playing around with On Shape for a couple days and I think I'm on to something .
I like .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #676
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:

I would need to see it in action to know which way is strongest, but there is no need to print it on it's back for adhesion purposes unless you are actively having adhesion problems. Clean bed at the right temp, no problem like that. Looks like it will be just fine like you printed it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #677
Rock Crawler

Quote:
To me that looks like machine or slicer error. If you had printed legs up top down I would think adhesion but this looks like the machine followed the same path on each layer.

Or ..... maybe change your line width to fit the filament in the desired space with less voids?

Or OR ..... its actually designed that way??

Other things I print are printing okay, if fact I designed the samething in Onshape only smaller and it printed fine. So I'm going to guess there is some kind of design flaw. It was actually designed (not by me) to be printed with one leg laying on the bed. I'll have to look but I think when it was printed that way the top came out fine.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #678

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #679
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
There is no way I would have the patience to wait for all those parts to print! I cant even imagine how much time is in all those pieces. But pretty neat to see.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #680
RCC Addict

Quote:
There is no way I would have the patience to wait for all those parts to print! I cant even imagine how much time is in all those pieces. But pretty neat to see.

Dude is a youtube 3d printing, guru. He has multiple machines, Im sure it took him longer to slice things then actually get them printed.

One thing I got from it was the cad files for parts ie screws are available at mcmaster carr. I don't know if it will be useful, but I am checking that out.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 07-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM