Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #641
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I wonder if those would work on the Select Mini.
On doing this for your printer, I strongly recommend you get a metal sleeve to go on the screw and inside of your cylinder. I cant for the life of me remember what its called so I can get you a link, but its basicaly a stainless steel cylinder that I found for the proper length in the hardware section. That adds high quality rigidity, and then use PETG printed larger cylinders to keep em steady. I dont recommend using PLA if you have a heated bed, and even PETG will glass transition if you are using ABS or PC temps.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #642
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
For simple widgets, sure. When your designs get more complicated, that's just not practical.
This took 20+ prints to get perfect, and would cost around $75 each from Shapeways.

Yeah, but logistically thats a very easy design you have there. a few extrudes here, some counter sinking there, and really its a design someone with no experience could figure out in a weekend if they are smart enough
Old 07-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #643
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
On a little lighter side, does it make sense to print this item this way?

The Note in the read.me file says
"Notes:
prints standing on its side so no support needed depending on material on your printer, I use ABS, so I printed with support for the one with places made for furniture tabs to get ite perfekt in size"

To me it makes more sense to print it laying on it's back with the legs up. I did start it that way and it printed strange, You would think that it would lay down the 60x65mm outline then fill it but it didn't it put a rectangle at each end filled them but not in a conventional pattern. Then just` running parallel lines between the 2 end boxes. Wasn't sticking good and I didn't like the way it was going to I cancelled.

Currently printing as per instructions on it's side but I don't see how this is going to happen with no supports.
Rotate 90 degrees obviously...
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #644
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Was the print posted by someone on the International Space Station?
You can bridge but you can't cantilever with a 3D printer in normal earth gravity.

For Slic3r PE.
In Print settings > Layers and perimeters > Advanced section, do you have External Perimeters First checked ?
Also check that the infill type isn't rectilinear.

You may want to upgrade Slic3r PE to 1.40.1 beta. It seemed a little more stable that 1.40.0

You know I knew in my mind that it wasn't going to work, no way in he** could that be printed like that without supports, but I just had to try it. Here's the results

I was watching it so it didn't turn out being a big mess....

External Perimeters was not checked, is now
Top/Bottom infill was rectilinear, changed to concentric

I have Slic3r 1.40.1 rc1 but haven't use it yet, will switch now
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #645
I wanna be Dave

Last i checked.. Shapeways is 3d prining.

Ragging on people, not my style.

If your print doesnt come out the way you designed it even after "long" hours of measuring. Its not you, may be the way it was printed or how it was sitting in the file befor the print started.

Measure.

Measure again.

And measure once more.

Seriously, its not that hard. I designed a pan car in highschool in 10 hours. Still have the renderings. Its basic geometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Well, apparently most of the rest of us aren't on the same plane of existence as your highness, and have to go to through a few revisions on our part prototypes before we get them exactly the way we want them. This is (I think) what Jim85IROC was talking about.

Taking measurements are one thing, getting the actual physical part installed and realizing you'd like to adjust a few things is how a lot of us "dense" people work things out.

Also, why are you even in here ragging on others if you run everything through shapeways? Last I looked this was 3D Printer thread...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Yeah, but logistically thats a very easy design you have there. a few extrudes here, some counter sinking there, and really its a design someone with no experience could figure out in a weekend if they are smart enough
The 3D cad work was straightforward. Conceptualizing the design, testing the design, eliminating interference with other components and getting all of the mounting points to align perfectly is where the majority of my time and test prints were spent.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #647
Rock Crawler

In my experience, cad is pretty easy, measuring things is hard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #648
Rock Crawler

When laying the stand on it's back with the legs up it prints really strange. You can see in the time-lapse what I am talking about. https://gramps50.smugmug.com/Duplica...us/i-P4d2gxL/A Here's what the bottom looks like and it was printing on glass. To me it appears that it didn't press the 1st layer to the glass. It did on the 1st rectangles that were laid down.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be to short for the buggy I printed it for, the buggy won't arrive until tomorrow. Guess I'll design my own and see how it goes.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #649
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
When laying the stand on it's back with the legs up it prints really strange. You can see in the time-lapse what I am talking about. https://gramps50.smugmug.com/Duplica...us/i-P4d2gxL/A Here's what the bottom looks like and it was printing on glass. To me it appears that it didn't press the 1st layer to the glass. It did on the 1st rectangles that were laid down.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be to short for the buggy I printed it for, the buggy won't arrive until tomorrow. Guess I'll design my own and see how it goes.

Did you look at the layer view in Slic3r to see what the first layer looks like? Did it show the gap in the middle?

I am wondering if you got a bad STL file.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #650
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The 3D cad work was straightforward. Conceptualizing the design, testing the design, eliminating interference with other components and getting all of the mounting points to align perfectly is where the majority of my time and test prints were spent.
Thats the joys of iterative design! Its a fun journey, not a meddlesome task IMO.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #651
Rock Crawler

Gramps, that looks like some sort of slicer error or file corruption. That toolpath doesnt make sense for what you had going sideways.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #652
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
In my experience, cad is pretty easy, measuring things is hard.

Cad is only easy if you know the order of operations that something must be designed in. And measuring is only hard when you don't have that initial reference point.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:56 AM   #653
Rock Crawler

Stop arguing like little kids you 2.

There's more than one way to do things, both have the same end result.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #654
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Did you look at the layer view in Slic3r to see what the first layer looks like? Did it show the gap in the middle?

I am wondering if you got a bad STL file.

The layer view shows the strange pattern but I'm don't think it actually showed the gap in the middle.

Here's the link to it https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1401210 I printed the one without the place for the pads
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #655
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Cad is only easy if you know the order of operations that something must be designed in. And measuring is only hard when you don't have that initial reference point.
Agreed, you put it to words far better than I did.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #656
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Cad is only easy if you know the order of operations that something must be designed in.
Rule #1 - Fillets are always done last.

OMG I couldnt even even begin to remember how many times I farked myself by doing fillets along the way.

But theres a learning curve like with anything, once you develop your own techniques though it gets easier and then you start challenging yourself.

Inventor has been fool proof and is the perfect level of dumby pro-ness for me
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

OMG I couldnt even even begin to remember how many times I farked myself by doing fillets along the way.

But theres a learning curve like with anything, once you develop your own techniques though it gets easier and then you start challenging yourself.

That's why I frown on sketch fillets. The can screw so much up and you spend an hour trouble shooting only to find out it's a ****ing fillet!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #658
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

Sound advice, but to late. I learned it the hard way.
You are correct about challenging yourself., I have gone from simple spacers to designing and printing a tenth scale flsky gt3c in a few months, with various brackets, mounts and parts along the way. My son asked me for a center console for his wraith last night, I literally sat down designed something in 5 minutes, and had it on the printer.

Fusion 360 has a handy little time line where I can go back and edit each feature that I do. That has alleviated much of my issues, but sometimes it is easier to start from scratch, especially when it is the order of operations that was screwed up.

Now if I could just learn how to place two holes a specific distance apart without zooming in and counting grid marks life would be swell.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #659
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Now if I could just learn how to place two holes a specific distance apart without zooming in and counting grid marks life would be swell.
I'm not familiar with fusion, but couldn't you use dimensions? Or is that only inventor?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #660
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
I'm not familiar with fusion, but couldn't you use dimensions? Or is that only inventor?

I am sure there are lots of things I could use, but finding them and learning them has been the challenge. Fusion 360 is not intuitive, and has lots of bells and whistles. Almost too many. It does have a great online community with lots of videos and walk throughs.

Is inventor something worth looking into? Just looked it up, it is also an Autodesk application.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 07-05-2018 at 10:34 AM.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM