Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #521
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: JIA's IFS Ultra4 build

Do you think Maxx shafts could withstand the power of pro4/AX2?
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #522
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
This is the look I want.

I got the hubs from Locked Up that function as the wheel nuts (not covers) and I have to torque them down with the tool. This is more than I cranked down on the covers, so I hope after I mod them they're still strong enough to withstand the torque I'll be putting on them.

What I plan on doing is masking/spraying the hubs and doing what I can to make them look close to the Solid drive flanges. They won't be 100% accurate to the Solid units, but when viewed with the rest of the rig, they'll be close enough. I've asked around looking for someone to make some Solid drive flange wheel nuts, but nobody has stepped up yet.

No kiddin'! I'm anxious to get it wrapped up, but if I just wanted to run it, I could have done so a long time ago. I want it to look scale and it's those details that I dwell on. If I'm not happy with it, it won't get finished.

Thanks, man.

Just FYI:

RC4WD Rear Drive Flange Wheel Nut Cover
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #523
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katan View Post
OK, so since I've been wanting these, when should I expect to see them in the mail?

BTW, these drive flanges are usually seen on steering axles. The description has them listed for rear axles.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...60/index3.html

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-24-2012 at 01:04 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #524
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
Do you think Maxx shafts could withstand the power of pro4/AX2?
I've been running Maxx shafts in Fat Girl with a 3300kV Pro4 on 3S and they're holding up fine. The stock AX ring and pinion gears are pitching a fit, but hey.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #525
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskancrawler View Post
Awfully quiet. Must be out driving a bunch. Any new videos?
This one has yet to be finished. Been having issues of various sorts lately...and the holiday didn't help at all.

Broke down last night and did some wiring on a totally unrelated project - got the FPV stuff wired on the quadcopter.

The geek work helped clear my head.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #526
Rock Crawler

I read through every page of this thread, awesome job. I love attention to small detail - it makes me happy inside.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #527
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: JIA's IFS Wraith build

Quote:

We're up doing the house search thing so I messed around a bit more.

Stuck the Exo light bar on, along with DTP's old body panels. I left the rear loose, but this helps me see what I'll need to do when it comes time to panel it.

Not too sure of this light bar. One of the Chino units will likely go on. Less cabling and a cleaner look.

So will the stock wraith panels work with the longer ax10 lenght shocks?
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #528
Rock Crawler

Quote:
We're waiting on RPM arms too.

Slash slipper on an AX2 with 60/12 gearing.
Hey Jason are there any mods needed for the slash slipper on the ax2? The stock slipper and pro 4 aren't the best of friends
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #529
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
So will the stock wraith panels work with the longer ax10 lenght shocks?
Yeah, there are pictures in this thread of the RTR Wraith panels installed with the shocks. You just have to bend the panels to follow the contour of the frame. The rear shocks go outside the panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
Hey Jason are there any mods needed for the slash slipper on the ax2? The stock slipper and pro 4 aren't the best of friends
Slash slipper fits right on.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #530
06 Super National Champ

The ONE piece I've been waiting on so I can wrap up the wiring on this thing has been built. Should be here next week.

Switch panel from Overkill RC.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #531
RCC Addict

Custom light controller? are the 5 clear pieces indicators?
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #532
Quarry Creeper

JIA, if someone wanted to build an Ultra4 rig using both the front and rear independent suspensions from an Exo, what mods would you recommend to the stock Exo suspension to give it better performance for the slightly rockier terrains, without compromising too much stability for trails and speed runs?
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #533
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Custom light controller? are the 5 clear pieces indicators?
Just a switch panel. I've got four light circuits, five if I count the rear amber and brake lights. I'll most likely use that panel for the lights and the other two switches to turn on the BEC circuits.

The clear pieces sit on LEDs that are under the clear units and transfer light up through them.

Here's a video of Norm's switch panel in his FOJV build.

http://s265.beta.photobucket.com/use...b7fff.mp4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
JIA, if someone wanted to build an Ultra4 rig using both the front and rear independent suspensions from an Exo, what mods would you recommend to the stock Exo suspension to give it better performance for the slightly rockier terrains, without compromising too much stability for trails and speed runs?
Off the top of my head, I'd say Pro-Line Powerstrokes for Slash Rear on front and rear with a light sway bar on the front and a slightly stiffer one on the rear. The longer shocks will give you increased ground clearance and the sways will give stability at speed. Axial Exo universals front and rear are pretty much mandatory with the longer shocks - especially up front. The universals are intended for use up front - they're 96mm vs the 94mm dogbones used in the rear, but with the longer shocks and increased travel the 96s are a good thing.

Just remember that the Exo steering is fine at speed, but when you slow down and hit the rocks you'll find yourself wanting more throw when you get in tight spots. That's why I'm running stout servos and rear steer. The Hitec 7980 will hold the rear axle straight while hauling and has plenty of power when I want it to turn. The 7980 is slightly larger than a standard servo - the 7950 has almost the same power as the 7980, but fits in a standard servo location - like the stock Exo steering servo mount.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-26-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #534
Quarry Creeper

Just the shocks and sway bars will give it the proper clearance and travel characteristics for crawling? Would there be any difference in the suggested motor/ESC combo to one of these IFS Wraiths, considering the slightly different suspension?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #535
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Just the shocks and sway bars will give it the proper clearance and travel characteristics for crawling? Would there be any difference in the suggested motor/ESC combo to one of these IFS Wraiths, considering the slightly different suspension?
Depends on how you go about using the suspension. That was a guesstimate off the top of my head. Just a quick "It should work if..." It works in my head, so it should work in practice. Should.

As far as clearance, I'm not sure if you're talking about just using an Exo and converting it with the full chassis or what. The steering posts mount on the plastic underguards. With the Pro-Line Slash rears the IFS doesn't bottom out. The shocks will reach full compression before the chassis digs in.

The motor/ESC is up to you. After using the Pro4/AX2 everything else just seems weak to me. I run my IFS rig on 2S and it's fast. Other guys here are running 3S and love it.

I went to 3S in Fat Girl with a 3300kV Pro4 (AX10 transmission) and when I come up the curb into the yard I'm landing 11ft later. If it had a 2-speed it'd be nuts. You end up with both lower and higher gear ratios over a stock Wraith trans.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #536
Quarry Creeper

At least to start I'd probably be sticking with the stock Exo chassis and cage to keep things simple/cheaper. It'd likely evolve from there though, once I had a proof of concept using just the suspension mods you suggested.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #537
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
At least to start I'd probably be sticking with the stock Exo chassis and cage to keep things simple/cheaper. It'd likely evolve from there though, once I had a proof of concept using just the suspension mods you suggested.
That would be the cheapest (and more revertable) way to go. Pro-Line Powerstroke Slash rears front/rear with Axial (or Vanquish) universals (VVDs) and some Vanquish or Felsenfest lockers and HD gears. Swap the transmission to a AX10, AX2, or Wraith trans, install some MIPs, and give it a go.

Was on the phone late tonight. Put the earbuds in and worked while I was kept up.

With the on/off switching for the LED bars sorted out (HUGE thanks to Overkill RC), I'm working on routing all the cabling and getting all of the electronics packaged in the rig so they're hidden. Trying to plan things so I can actually do maintenance on the thing if/when I need to. I plan to spend tomorrow routing everything, cutting wires to length, soldering all the connections, and terminating the ends for proper connectors. I don't need 30+ feet of cabling in this thing.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 11-27-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #538
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK, so since I've been wanting these, when should I expect to see them in the mail?

BTW, these drive flanges are usually seen on steering axles. The description has them listed for rear axles.

Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive
Fixed it.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #539
Rock Crawler

Be sure to post some pics after your done with sorting out the wiring please.
alaskancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #540
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
Fixed it.
I don't understand. Both links go to the same page.

What did you fix?

*EDIT*

Oh! The RC4WD item description. I'm with you now. The url still says rear-drive-flange...

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/388684-jias-ifs-ultra4-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Axial Wraith This thread Refback 03-01-2013 02:33 PM
Axial Racing - Project Wrexo – Bender’s Latest Custom Build This thread Refback 02-18-2013 03:40 PM

JIA's IFS Ultra4 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid axle Ultra4 build JasonInAugusta Axial Wraith 79 07-08-2013 09:32 PM
DTP's KOH IFS Ultra4 DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Scale Videos! 7 12-20-2012 09:21 AM
JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions JasonInAugusta Chassis and Suspension 77 11-10-2012 10:27 PM
IFS axial build red_zook General Scale Talk 6 04-28-2012 08:43 AM
Ultra4/KOH build of doom Ruff11 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 10-10-2011 08:11 PM