Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #2361
Pebble Pounder

Can i set up the 'deadband' on the TorqueMaster BR-XL ?
i'd like to order 2 of them for my berg V2 proj

Wat about a running like this:

HH ESC + 35 or 45 HH handwound motors + 1800mAh lipo 2s 40c ? would be fine or better go with a 3s ?

i'd like to have a delicate running for tecnique gates and wheel spin when needed
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #2362
Rock Crawler

Default Combo

My New speed Cotrol Motor Combo Works Great For my crawler king , I dont even have to use the drag break on yet and its still Dosnt roll back hard like the stock ones. easer to contol Great work Thank You.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #2363
Pebble Pounder

Im looking at your TorqueMaster Sport motors.. and here's my question..

I have a Tamiya Hilux bastardized special.. It's on stock TLT-ish axles of a ratio I can't find any info about.. It's missing the original 3 speed, and is running a chopped up bastard single speed tranny and I have no clue wtf it is.

I had a 27t og Green Monster from way back in 1999/2000, and tested it with a 16t pinion on 2s, it got hot.. like way hot.. Fried it hot pretty quickly running on pavement/short grass.. It was running fine at about the 3 minute mark on pavement, I felt the motor it was lukewarm.. ran it a bit more and realized it was slowing, checked temp via finger then and shazam that bitch was hot.. maybe 10 minutes total run time, and motor has been weak ever since though the arm shows no burn marks..

So I swapped over to an older motor from the early 90's that by sound comparison before the Green monster fried, was obviously slower in the KV dept. and felt torquier. The 16t pinion on it got it hot too, not quiet as fast though.. So I hit the LHS today and got a 12t & installed it.. It still gets warm, to warm for my liking but not warm enough to burn it up. The truck still has tons of punch and a decent top end.. It's lacking in the low-range control dept.

*Addendum* 10 minute run doing mild hill climbing in the grass, motor was hot as hell.. this mystery motor is tough as hell, but it'll fry unless I make a change soon..

The owner before stated he ran a 34t kyosho motor with a 15t pinion with 2s power on it and it worked great.. That's all the info I have on it though..

I marked a tire & the spur and gave it the roll-out test.. It came out dead on at 1 tire rotation = 8 spur rotations.. and I mean dead-ass on the money.

Based on this info.. which TorqueMaster Sport wind would you recommend and what pinion?

~Kev

Last edited by Darksiede; 10-20-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #2364
Pebble Pounder

^^ Hoping to get some help soon.. my scaler is sitting on blocks waiting on a heart transplant..

~Kev
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #2365
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would say a 35t is a good start for you. The 27t was getting too hot. You could put about 12 to 24 degrees of timing on it and get pretty decent wheelspeed.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #2366
Pebble Pounder

Default Br-xl

Was looking on your site and it says that you are not offering the waterproof version of the br-xl because the mold was damaged. What's the time frame that I'm looking at for ordering a waterproofed version? Thanks. David
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #2367
Rock Crawler

Default 3s?

Hi John.
I have a BRXL and Torquemaster Pro Handwound 25T combo.
Its been running great on 2s lipo in my AX10. Thanks!

I've never run 3s lipo and I'm just wondering if theres a downside?
Premature motor wear, over-heating, etc?
Anything else I should consider before going to 3s?

Also, I picked up a castle-link. If I switch to 3s, are there any esc settings I should change like timing, etc?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #2368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexcl View Post
Was looking on your site and it says that you are not offering the waterproof version of the br-xl because the mold was damaged. What's the time frame that I'm looking at for ordering a waterproofed version? Thanks. David
At least a few weeks here. I am trying to work out a billet case solution instead of just plain epoxy blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post
Hi John.
I have a BRXL and Torquemaster Pro Handwound 25T combo.
Its been running great on 2s lipo in my AX10. Thanks!

I've never run 3s lipo and I'm just wondering if theres a downside?
Premature motor wear, over-heating, etc?
Anything else I should consider before going to 3s?

Also, I picked up a castle-link. If I switch to 3s, are there any esc settings I should change like timing, etc?

Thanks.
You won't need to change any settings unless you have Hold turned on. Sometimes when you increase the voltage you have to decrease the drag % to keep motor jittering down. Otherwise, you got it. More heat, more wear, more power.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #2369
RCC Addict

i am in the process of building a scx10 drivetrain scaler and am going to build it based around being able to run in water at times. i will be using one of your esc's once your waterprooffing is available. what turn brushed motor do you suggest all but 1 of my other rigs are currently brushless and i absolutely dislike its brushed powertrain and lack of torque or power. im sure its a combo of the integy motor, 6 cell nimhs and rc4wd trans. so figuring out which wind would still make me happy with power and torque is kind of new to me.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #2370
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up a couple of 7t cobalt pullers in great shape and was wondering if they still are rebuildable if/when they go bad?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #2371
Pebble Pounder

and I guess to add to that if I get parts from you to do it or where.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #2372
Quarry Creeper

Default My esc

I sent my esc to you as you asked and was just wondering if you recieved it yet? Would like to get a update it has been nearly 3 weeks.Thanks Blake
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky3 View Post
i am in the process of building a scx10 drivetrain scaler and am going to build it based around being able to run in water at times. i will be using one of your esc's once your waterprooffing is available. what turn brushed motor do you suggest all but 1 of my other rigs are currently brushless and i absolutely dislike its brushed powertrain and lack of torque or power. im sure its a combo of the integy motor, 6 cell nimhs and rc4wd trans. so figuring out which wind would still make me happy with power and torque is kind of new to me.
A handwound motor would give you a lot more power, but that isn't the best solution for running in the water. I would probably get a cheaper 35t motor and run it on 3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator1 View Post
I just picked up a couple of 7t cobalt pullers in great shape and was wondering if they still are rebuildable if/when they go bad?
I have 14t armatures and brushes here, for the most part we can keep them running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcampisi View Post
I sent my esc to you as you asked and was just wondering if you recieved it yet? Would like to get a update it has been nearly 3 weeks.Thanks Blake
Got it here, I will make sure that I take care of it today for you
Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #2374
Pebble Pounder

thats good to know thanks. Mine are good now should I buy some parts now just in case you run out of guts for them?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #2375

That is up to you. I should be able to keep brushes here for a few years. The armatures are moving relatively slow. Springs have been the tough part to find.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #2376
RCC Addict

running in the water wouldnt be a very often thing i do live in the desert but every once in a while some of our club guys get together and do some trail runnin in the mountains and play in a few streams
Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #2377
Rock Crawler

hi John, i saw my order placed 2 days ago isn't yet completed, are there any problems?
order number #5722
thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #2378

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky3 View Post
running in the water wouldnt be a very often thing i do live in the desert but every once in a while some of our club guys get together and do some trail runnin in the mountains and play in a few streams
Your choice then, pick what you can budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidetti_angelo View Post
hi John, i saw my order placed 2 days ago isn't yet completed, are there any problems?
order number #5722
thanks
no problem. Sometimes it takes a few days to get to an order, the terms and conditions of my site list a 2 to 4 day processing time.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #2379
I wanna be Dave

John,

Are you really running dual 27t hand wounds on 4s in your XR10?

Do you have any video?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #2380
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Your choice then, pick what you can budget

no problem. Sometimes it takes a few days to get to an order, the terms and conditions of my site list a 2 to 4 day processing time.
ok thanks
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM